I find myself at a crossroads of sorts waiting to move 3000 miles away from my current home…the place I’ve lived in for the last seventeen years. For the first time ever, I also find myself without kids at home and without a job. I left my beloved job at preschool last year because life was starting to feel a little too full and crazy. Justin was traveling more and I simply felt pulled in a million different ways. It all turned out for the best though, as shortly after I left my job we decided to move really far away.
Since school has started for my four people, I have a little more time. Granted, doing the single mom thing at the moment manages to eat up tremendous chunks of my day. But I have time for a morning walk, a quick coffee, or a stroll through a favorite store and I’ve never had that time before.
In my quest to make the most of this one life I’ve been given, I’m trying not to waste time. Yes, I still read The Daily Mail every morning because, honestly, I like looking at pictures of Kate’s new haircut and Victoria Beckham’s family. I’ve started doing a few things that are making me happy and fulfilled and that seems to help me motivate to clean the kitchen for the umpteenth time.
- I’m reading…incessantly. It’s a stress reliever and a necessary luxury(no…reading isn’t a luxury…maybe just the absurd number of books I purchase!). I feel like I should hide the books on my night stand when we’re showing the house but I guess I want potential owners to see I’m a reader since they’ll figure out I’m obviously not a cleaner!
- I’m listening to a podcast while I walk. I’ve never listened to one before. My friend and fellow author, Steve Smith, waxes poetically(and slightly continuously) about all of the things he learns on podcasts. I’m listening to Happier with Gretchen Rubin and so far it is offering little tidbits of info and thought provoking ideas that I’m thoroughly enjoying. I just need to find a pair of earbuds that doesn’t hurt my ears…am I the only one in the world that that happens too?
- On that same vein, I’ve found a blog that’s become a complete obsession for me…Modern Mrs. Darcy. Her main focus is books but she also discusses parenting-being a mom-life kind of things that inspire me in a variety of ways.
- And I’m taking golf lessons! They’re making me feel incompetent, uncoordinated, and exhilarated!
- Last but definitely not least…I wrote a quick little status update about kindness on my Facebook page this morning. Lately I’ve found people solving the world’s problems on Facebook (yes, there are many things wrong with that statement!). Maybe it’s because were entering a Presidential election and that tends to make voices get louder. While I agree it is so important not to turn a blind eye to injustice and suffering that’s occurring around our globe, I think we need to make sure we’re being kind at home too. It doesn’t do anyone any good if you’re solving the gun control crisis and in the process ignoring your kids or a friend in need. Little acts of kindness make amazing things happen. Don’t create a crisis in our immediate world by focusing only on the great big world out there.